Saturday, September 11, 2010

Week One - Home Schooling

I am SO excited for so many reasons (in terms of our decision to home school this year).

This week went really great (I think).  When I asked Noah, he concurred.  Here are some highlights:

  • Noah is happier than I have seen him in so long.  He wakes up happy.  He cheerfully starts his day (well, in between those 'this is boring' and 'do I have to's') when he wakes up on his own, rather than the fight to get him out of bed.
  • ON HIS OWN, he has been choosing to do more 'active' things around home.  Things like, playing on the WII Fit, or going outside to shoot hoops, or jumping on the trampoline.  He's empowered now and for a few weeks now, he has taken on a few pounds.  AND...he's doing all of this without being asked.
  • He hasn't had a headache in a few weeks now, where as when he was at school he came home EVERY day and wanted 'couch time' only with a fight to take some headache medication.  
  • Then, lets add in about the whole helping around the house.  When I ask him to do something, he just 'does' it (for the most part).  That said, I started a COMPLAINT BOARD.  What's this, you ask?  Well, I have a white board that is easily accessable. If he complains or refuses to do something or does an annoying behaviour (which I could write a WHOLE post on, but I will spare you the details) - I say nothing.  I get up, walk to the board and 'tick'.  After 10 ticks, he loses 100 points through his 'myjobchart.com' (this could be another WHOLE post, but if you want to read about it check out my friend's blog - she says it ALL and then some - click HERE).  Needless to say, he's learning real quick about what is acceptable and what is NOT!!!
  • We met some other home schooled family's at 'GYM day' in Presques Isle, Maine on Friday - I've never seen Noah so compliant and not 'attention seeking' in a group.  We will continue to socialize and attend Gym Class day every Friday in PI, Maine.  We will also be participating in some of their outings from time to time - they are the closest home school support group.
  • We do have some behaviours to modify, but in the process of the week I can 'already' see him conforming to what I say, with less defiancy.  We had a 'show down' one day that has left me in 'stitches'!  I wanted Noah to write a word (that he spelled wrong) 2 times and he REFUSED.  The more defiant he was, the more I insisted he write it.  Well, it ended up that I made him write it 5 times - over his attitude and defiancy.  BUT, this was after about 25 minutes of us staring at each other with him saying, 'you can't make me' and 'I'm NOT going to do it' and me saying 'oh yes you are' and 'I've got all day'!!!  When he realized that school took longer that day, I have a feeling he won't be doing THIS again!!! LOL
  • At the end of the week, I asked him what he thought of schooling at home.  To my surprise, he asked for more 'projects'.   'Say WHAAAAT???'.  YUP, he wants more independent projects, you know (in his words 'the kind that you have to look on the internet and find information, then write about the subject and put it on a big board'.  Ummmm, okay (thinking, I wonder how long this is going to last)!!  But when I thought back to his public school experience, these types of projects happened maybe once per grade and when they did, he was in his absolute glory.  So...heck YEAH, I'm going to use his strengths like this.    This week we are starting a science unit on The Universe (Stars, Sun & Planets) and I think this is a perfect topic to do a project on, don't you???  Do share if you have any projects?? 
  • TESTS - Noah already received a science test on Friday.  First we started off by 'studying'.  I taught him the importance of studying and "HOW" to study.  Then he got his first quiz/test of the year!  I think I am going to do this often - just to ease my mind that he is understanding the material for each subject!  He rocked it out too! 
  • SLEEP - this mama needs some major sleep.  Don't know what's up with my sleep patterns, but I keep waking up between 3:30 and 4:30 AM - NO matter WHAT time I go to bed at.  Sheeeesh.....I can't keep this up, I know that for sure!  I'm hoping it's just the excitement of our new adventure (because each morning I am so drawn to reviewing & preparing what we are doing for the day and thinking about the day before. 

So...that's about it.  Week One was a smashing success.  Here's hoping (and knowing) that week 2 will be even better than the first!  I am the happiest I have ever been and truly feel like I am doing, what I am supposed to be doing now in my life!  YAY!!!

No comments: