Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sugar Camps & Storm Trooper Birthday Presents

Last week, I went on a field trip with both grade 2 French Immersion classes to a Sugar Camp. It was the perfect day.... I had so much fun!

Before we boarded the school bus, there was an argument amongst the children trying decide who would sit with me. They ended up having to play 'rock-paper-scissor' in order to help determine who would indeed sit with me. Thankfully Noah got to sit with me!

Check out those baby blues on my boy....this photo is un-edited with our small camera and his eyes STILL glow!!! I only wish I could have sparkling eyes like those!


We learned that this camp had over 11,000 buckets collecting sap - WOW!!! It looked SO beautiful walking through the woods. All you could see for what seemed like miles were trees, with buckets upon more trees and more buckets! Beautiful...

After we learned about running a sugar camp and making maple syrup, we ate a 'really' healthy lunch that consisted of a hot dog, a pancake and home fries. After we ate, we went outside to eat some homemade snow toffee/taffee....yummmy!

Check out the picnic tables.... they actually created them with a border to hold the snow for exactly this!!!



Now today (Saturday), Jacques was in a volleyball tournament. So between getting our hair trimmed, picking up Jacques car from an oil change and going shopping in the states, we went to see him play a few of his 16 (I think) games today. It was ALL worth it because Jacques' team WON the entire championship! I'm certainly proud of him.

While shopping in the states, Noah & I found exactly what he REALLY wanted for his birthday and something I've been unable to find in Grand Falls or even online.

I made a decision that I usually wouldn't have made....I let him get his gift early. It was the MOST priceless moment in the store - it actually brought me to tears as well as 2 other women nearby when the moment occurred!

Noah was 'googly-eyed' at these items and I just smiled at him all the while thinking about how would I ever pick them up before his birthday. He turned to put them back on the shelf and I made the call to get them early. I told him to get these items and put them in the cart. He was GENUINELY in shock, turned to me and hugged me as tight as I've ever felt him hug thanking me profusely. It was so special....
That's my boy - almost 8 years old. Where does time go?


And the photo below is Noah 'sporting' his new gifts (one from us and one from birthday money - 'most likely' his grandparents who usually send money). the storm trooper mask & a new light saber that makes sound and automatically opens.

He is SO thrilled.....

No comments: