Sunday, December 21, 2008

Don`t know what happened....

Back in October, Jacques & I decided to volunteer this Christmas season at the Food Bank as a way to 'give back' to our community and a way to remember just how blessed our family is. I called to offer our time - they were really appreciative. They told me that they could use help delivering boxes on Dec 20. I was delighted that we could help, especially as a family together.

Last week, considering I had not heard anything from the food bank I called them to remind them that we were available to help on Dec 20. They were really appreciative (again) that I had called, because they had lost our number. The told us that we should be at the building at 9:00 am in the morning to have everything loaded and ready to go by 9:30 am.

Yesterday morning, we got dressed in our warmest clothes considering it was in the high -20's, including our Santa Hats............ready for our big day of giving. I was SO excited....to finally be doing something that I had wanted to do for the past several years.

When we arrived, I had my camera in hand ready to take lots of pictures of our day. I even had the `song` picked out to make a video as well!


I went into the building, asked for who I was supposed to see. He told me to tell Jacques to back in at this spot...which we did. I waited for a while in the van for our next direction..... When it didn`t come, I went back in the building to find out they didn`t want us to park there. So we moved (away from the loading dock) as directed. We waited for a while longer. I went back into the building to find out what was happening. They told me that we could not take our van and that I would have to go with one of the other drivers. I advised that may not work considering I had my son & my husband with me. They went back & forth (in French) about what they were going to do with me. I told them that I would wait in the van until they decided.

Finally, Jacques (who was somewhat annoyed at this point) went back in to ask them (in French) what was happening and they told us that they didn`t need us. WHAT.......how disappointing?

I felt so sad for the first few hours after we got home (and FREEZING). Then I realized that, no matter what the outcome, our heart was in the right place whether or not we actually helped and we should be proud of ourselves for making the effort!

It's really unfortunate that this small town really appears (especially to outsiders like ourselves) to have major 'click's' that make it extremely hard to join in. I have started another post about this.....stay tuned.

1 comment:

Myrna Hynes said...

That's really sad...there are SO many places out there crying for help and this one turned you down! Wow! But you should feel blessed in your heart, nonetheless, just knowing how willing your family was to join in the spirit of giving. There's always next year...