Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sad Day Around Here


Sitting along with Noah at supper, Noah starts talking about the movie 'The Tooth Fairy'.  I pipe up and say 'Man, and all these years I thought the Tooth Fairy was a girl.'.

Noah responds, 'Mom, I know the Tooth Fairy is not real, it really isn't and you're the one who brings me the presents at Christmas too, I know Mom, I just know.  Just tell me, I know.'

All I could do was burst out laughing. 

Noah & I laughed our butts off...so much so, both of us were crying with laughter.

We continue eating supper.  I'm quiet, couldn't say a word.  Trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to call Jacques to find out what we should do.

After supper, Noah says to me, 'Mom, are you mad at me?'.

I say, "No, why would you think that?"

He says, "Because you haven't said anything to me and usually we talk over supper."

My heart breaks.

I finally get the chance to call Jacques and he says we'll chat when he gets home.

So he gets home.

We call Noah downstairs to talk about the conversation at supper.

When we tell him, he keeps saying 'I just knew it, I just knew it'.  I start to cry and he comes to console me.  HOW weird is that?  Crazy household!

N - 'So the pijama elf is YOU? and the Easter Bunny is YOU? and you buy ALL the presents? and the stockings is YOU?'

He just kept thinking about all the details, giggled and kept saying 'it's YOU, I can't believe it.  I guess Brittney was right' (Brittney is a girl at school that told him that Santa wasn't real before Christmas).

I brought out all of his letters to Santa that he has wrote over the years to show him.  As I was showing him, he began to cry.  I felt terrible.

We ask him if he knew.  He said that he kinda did, but wasn't really sure.

He continued crying and said he just wanted to be alone.  So he went upstairs.

And 'that was that', it's all over and done with.  My heart is empty and I ache. 

Every now and then, I hear a cry from upstairs. 

Jacques and I question if we should have tried to carry it out more than we did, but it's too late now.

Sad, sad day around here :(

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Oh I am dreading that day myself!! Lee Jr. seems to not believe anymore but hasen't come out and told us just yet, but I think he knows too!!