Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hockey Season = Tim's Season


By Tim's, I mean Tim Hortons. Our Canadian version of Starbucks (for my American buddies)!! It's kind of a hockey tradition in Canada. In fact, many (if not most) of our NHL & Junior teams have Tim Hortons outlets in their arenas (challenge me if you will, I just don't care to do the research right now)!

So, tonight was the FIRST time for Noah on the ice this year (the season started on Oct 25, but we missed out on the first week of practice from our vacation). He was so nervous and excited all bundled up into one anxious boy!

Last night (which is becoming a yearly tradition), we were scrambling checking to see if we had everything - I 'thought' I had already done this but apparently I wasn't complete in my efforts (what can I say, this is a Daddy's department)!! As well, at the end of September (when Noah tried on his skates) - they fit. We even had them fitted at the sports store (because I didn't believe that last years skates would still fit)! Well, when he put his skates on (only to measure where to cut his new stick off at) he said his feet hurt. Plus, the 'cup'/shorts were too small....whoops! So, off went Jacques & Noah to get new skates, a cup, tape for the stick and a jersey!

His practice was at 5:30pm. When Noah got home from school, a little friend came over to play for an hour. The other little boy wanted to play outside and Noah said "I can't because I have to rest up for my big game tonight" (this was at 3:15pm). Then at 3:30 pm, Noah BEGGED me to let him put on his gear! I managed to put him off until 4:00 pm...so he was dressed, ready to go (except for his skates & helmet) almost a full hour and a bit before the game. He was SO excited! By the time he got to the game, he was pretty sweaty!

Given the fact he had not been on the ice since last March, I was SUPER impressed at his ability and skill. He LOVES the game so much....chatting skills with the coach immediately after I introduced him! Jacques made it to the game (only minutes after they started the game) and was commenting on how proud he was - WITH a Tim's (green tea) in hand 'for me'! What a sweetie, I'm so spoiled! They won their game (against the ONLY other Grand Falls team) 3-2, so it was a victorious evening!! Noah played hard & did his best. The little bugger was drenched when he took off his gear...dripping in sweat!

Looking at the schedule, it looks pretty busy in comparison to Dieppe or Initiation (not sure yet of the differences). We travel (upwards of 1.5 hours) 'almost' every weekend (that includes 20 games/tournaments from now until the beginning of February). Of the tournaments, there are 5 Jamboree's (4 of which will require travelling out of town & 2 that will probably require overnights). So, I guess it's time to change to our winter/studded tires....EH?

I'm excited. I feel more at ease and less stress this season. I am super pumped to let the games begin.... Gosh, I only have one child to chase after (for now) - so I'll do it while I can and LOVE every minute of it!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

GOOD JOB little man and congrats on the win!!